Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Gift Givin'


Hey hey ya'll. What it do? I've been gone for a minute but I'm making a promise today that I won't be shuckin' and jivin' not doing regular post. Deal? Deal.

I've been thinkin (this can be real dangerous cuz my mind be all ova da place. Check out the "pieces of me" series if you need proof *sigh*). The holidays are right around the corner, Black Friday is staring me in the face and I have decided to *clutchin pearls*....

FORGO THE ENTIRE GIFT GIVIN', I'M GOIN INTO DEBT TO BUY YOU SHYT YOU DON'T EVEN NEED, I'M GIVIN YOU THIS CUZ YOU GAVE ME SOMETHING BULLSHYT!

I am done. I should not be stressed out tryna figure what to buy folks. Stunna can forget it. Nope, I ain't buying gift bags from Bath & Body Works! Nope, I ain't buying cologne from Macy's! Nope, Nope, Nope. I have enough Bath & Body shyt to last a lifetime and I'm sure everyone else does too. And if I buy one more bottle of cologne I'll scream! Nope, I'm not buying gift cards either! If you don't have it, you won't get it from me. Sorry. That's just what I'm feeling like these days. So to avoid all confusion let me make it plain...

DO.NOT.BUY.ME.SHYT.IF.YOU.EXPECT.A.GIFT.IN.RETURN!

(I'm not sayin you can't buy me anything if that's what ya heart telling YOU to do. Just know that the act of "kindness" won't be reciprocated on my end, k? K.)

Instead of using all ya lil monies buyin ridiculous gifts, why not open an e-savings account (ING)? Why not do a lil investing instead of throwing ya money away, on purpose mind you? We gotta think smarter people and realize that family and friends may hate you for not thrusting yourself in the throes of gift giving but I say eff it! If they get mad over some dumb mess like that then that's just too dayum bad.

Not only am I boycotting Christmas gift givin' but I'm also "SAYIN' NO" to Valentine's Day (I never celebrated that crap no way) and birthdays. No wait, I'll be lenient on birthdays cuz my born day needs to be celebrated with lavish thangs so that probably means that I gotta give lavish to get lavish Ugh.

Pray for me.

Durty

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, you ain't know. that is what I told the beanteam. Only children get a christmas gift. I am not going into debt for anyone.. I am trying to go to school.

I support you! Do the right thing!

BF :-)

Anonymous said...

Xmas if for children.. i feel the same way..hmph..

_Tina

Anonymous said...

Amen to this blog! I'm totally with you on this one. I love Christmas. It's my favorite holiday however, I will be giving gifts to Children only this year. I'm with BF...I refuse to go into debt.

Jazzy said...

LOL! I stopped breaking the bank on Christmas gifts a long time ago. I buy my niece and nephew and that's pretty much it. And my niece has just two more years to go before no more Christmas gifts for her grown ass either! LOL!

This is sometimes hard with my co-workers though...my boss will give me a couple grand for Christmas and the rest of the managers easily give me about another grand. What do I do...I bake cookies and sweets for them. Sometimes it seems like it's not a fair trade but hey...they make tripple what I make a year.

PS: Everyone should have a high interest bearing savings account. ING and Washington Mutual have some of the highest interest rates around!

Tasha said...

I'm right *here* with you on that. I buy gifts for my nieces and nephews that are still at that age of believing in Santa. Past that, it's too damn bad, Auntie Tasha can't help.

I agree that people should try investing rather than spend $$ on some shyt that might stay in the back of the closet with the tags still on it.

proacTiff said...

Believe me when I say that I've LONG since subscribed to this notion you speak of. My husband has also been in agreeance on the matter. It took the shock of the first year we decided to not go into debt for all the hard-working GROWN folk in our family. We were into the mulitple children thing (hell, we got 3) and just didn't see the need to be doing for folk who could do for self. It got hard tryna please everyone and looking at your opened gift box - a damn terry cloth robe. I'm not saying that it mattered more than the thought, but damn, we still paying that CC debt to this day. *LOL* Not all their fault, of course. Bcuz hubby is ten years older than his only sibling, and I am an only child, we never had to buy for nieces/nephews. But, the problems arose with selfish ass parents and shyt. They act like we owe them for bringing us into the world. As if we asked to come here. I swear I will not treat my kids this way when they grow older. Okay, I'm off on a rampage because this subject gets to me too.

I've often riddled this to my husband: If we actually "had it like that" would I feel the way I do regarding gift-giving? Sometimes when we don't have it to give and spend freely we can take the road "they don't need this or that anyway, so why should I spend what I don't really have," out of guilt.

But I'm loosed and don't feel guilty in the least...

Miss Snarky Pants said...

Wassup DM??

I'm diggin' the post.

My oldest daughter [who is 18 now and will be having her own child in 3 more months has been scratched off'a my X-Mas list completely--and her sister who will be 17 by then has been downgraded to just one EXPENSIVE thang--LOL]

Now allz I gotta do is wait 10 mo' years before my son catches up to them and then...I'll be free @ last...FREE AT LAST...THANK GOD ALMIGHTY...I'LL BE FREE AT LAST!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back Mo! My blogging fix is now fulfilled. I agree wit you 100 percent. I only buy for people that still believes in Santa. We will go in debt for others but wont invest in ourselves. We need to change that.

-LB

Diva's Thoughts said...

Girl you know you are crazy!!! LOL

I love it.

MrsNotYourMomma said...

I'm jive feelin proactiff's second para. If I budget and have the money for my Xmas gifts - which were only for the hubby and parents and my 2 siblings, and now will be for my new nephew - then I'm going to give because I like giving. Some people can give gifts, lavish or otherwise, and not be broke or in debt and all that afterwards, and to me, that makes the difference. But if you don't have it, and you spendin it anyway for whatever your reasons, then you're just dumb.

Rich Fitzgerald said...

I love the disappearing stuff on your site, that's fresh.

I've been trying to get my wife to be down for nixing the Christmas gifts, but she can't do it. The kids look forward to it and she feels compelled to buy her mom something. So the only holiday we have successfully boycotted is Halloween.

BK said...

*hugs*.. I only give the kids WHAT THEY NEED.. and this year its down to 1 gift a piece.. of what they "want" and then whatever else they need.. which right now is a bedroom set!